Yes, I’m inclined to agree. Mainly because it’s focused on SD. That’s beneficial to the company for several reasons:
- SD is overcrowded, visibly, and has another damn baby on the way. They need to expand or move whales soon there no matter what.
- SD is on the west coast. Probably easier to ship “product” to their new partners in South Korea and ‘Pan-Asia’ from there.
- SD is ground zero for AB2140. They need to do something to improve public perception there ASAP or they’re liable to have all their “toys” taken away.
- SD is NOT Orlando, with the filtration/tank-size laws.
- SD is NOT San Antonio, which has the fewest whales (and is the ‘lesser’ of the parks.)
The benefit to the whales is secondary. They’re still having financial difficulties (as far as I’m aware the conditions discussed here have not changed?) and the timing of this announcement of theirs is just bad.
The whole thing’s just overall not impressive, and anyone enamored by the glitz of a few half-hearted concept paintings needs to cool their jets and think about this for a second.